There are many reasons why you might find the use of canes to be beneficial. Perhaps you need canes for stability, or maybe you need canes for better mobility. You might just want a cane for walking in general. In any case, it's important to find the right cane for you and your needs. Moreover, you don't need to compromise functionality for style and you can find a large assortment of walking canes that meet those needs and wants.
Before you start shopping though, there are a few tips for using a cane you should know about.
How to measure the right size
Luckily, there are numerous canes that can be adjusted to your exact height requirements and you may find that you can adjust it higher or lower to suit your needs. However, you should still get an accurate measurement. A correctly sized cane is essential to it functioning properly and offering the assistance that you purchased it for. To measure the length that you'll need, you should:
- Stand as you normally would while wearing your shoes.
- Relax your arms at your side, with a slight bend in the elbow.
- Remaining still, have a friend measure the distance from your wrist joint to the floor. That number is the cane length you'll want.
If getting an accurate measurement is difficult or impossible to do, there is a way to estimate the length needed. Simply divide your height by two and the length of cane you need will typically be within one inch of that number.
How to use the cane properly
You might think that using a cane is a basic skill that doesn't have any tips or recommendations but in order to use the cane properly, you should adhere to these guidelines.
- Use the cane on whichever side of your body is strongest.
- Move the cane and the "bad" leg forward at the same time when you walk.
- Don't stretch the cane out too far as to make it difficult for you to use it to balance yourself.
Even if you only want to use the cane for walking outdoors, more than 50% of falls among older adults take place at home. That's why it's important to have a cane that you can be comfortable using as often as needed.
If you're looking for stylish and functional canes, check us out today.